Denton County is a unique county for DWI and Criminal Defense lawyers. Although Denton is a university town, the university demographic is not a majority of its voters or jury pool. In fact, it is an aging county, much like Tarrant County, and represents the best of what aged societies do: tolerance, broad demographics, adaptation to societal challenges and the compassion and wisdom that comes with those issues. As a result, in terms of jury verdicts, one can expect to get a diverse panel.
The positives of Denton County Criminal Cases include:
1. Most misdemeanor court dates are excusable except the first and plea settings, for example. However, you should always verify with our office whether or not your attendance is required.
2. Some of the prosecutors are very open-minded in terms of resolving cases.
3. You can do County jail time on weekends.
The Negatives of Denton County Criminal Cases
On the other hand, Denton County also has its downsides:
1. All felony court appearances are mandatory, for example.
2. Hearings may be required for early interlock removal and occupational drivers licenses (ODLs), both of which are important for DWI and license suspension cases.
3. Discovery is still paper heavy, instead of using more modern electronic discovery (e-discovery) practices. Physical discovery is still prominent. For example, one must drop off zip drives for video production (as opposed to simple downloads).
There are many newly elected judges in Denton County. This means that much is unpredictable, until patterns and knowledge of how each judge operates is established. However, the bar in Denton County is very friendly, helpful and accommodating.
More about Mimi Coffey
When people look for a Top DWI Attorney or Best DWI Attorney, they look for experience, certification, and respect in the legal community. Mimi Coffey is a nationally-renowned trial attorney, board-certified in DWI by the NCDD. She has been practicing for over 24 years and is an author of multiple DWI Defense textbooks. She is also a national and state-wide lecturer on the law.
The Coffey Firm handles a wide variety of cases, including Unlawful Carrying Weapon (UCW), Assault (including family violence), and Possession charges. We can also help you try to seal your record or avoid probation revocation.
Mimi is also listed on several “top criminal lawyer near me” directory listings such as DWI Lawyers for Wise County, DWI Lawyer Tarrant County, DWI attorney Dallas County, DWI attorneys Collin County, DWI Lawyer in Johnson County and DWI attorneys Parker County. Mimi is a caring DWI Lawyer in DFW, She is also involved in the Texas Tech School of Law foundation and enjoys using the skills she has developed to give back to the community.