Collin County is exploding with growth right now. It is booming in terms of population, property values, job opportunities and economy. It is a very friendly county which welcomes outsiders and newcomers to its community. For example, here are some Collin County criminal case positives from a DWI Attorney in Collin County:
- The Collin County Sheriff’s Department is in charge of security. This is a positive because they are most professional and always have a smile on their face. They routinely go above and beyond the call of duty by, for example, helping lawyers and citizens accused with the scheduling of their court dates.
- The Collin County judges are very friendly, understanding and don’t hesitate to take actions on their own (without even the lawyers asking) that add intrinsic value to the community. For example, they often reduce the duration of license suspension and waive prohibitively expensive surcharges (pre Sept. 2019 law change).
- Many Collin County courts allow the lawyers to schedule the court dates that accommodate both their schedules and their clients’ schedules. This makes for a much more efficient system and cuts down on work time that citizens accused must miss in order to appear in court.
Despite the many positives to Collin County, there are some concerns that a citizen accused must be aware of:
- The present elected District Attorney Greg Willis currently maintains a “no obstruction” policy on DWIs. As a result, cases that have no business being prosecuted often result in jury and bench trials at a cost to the Collin County taxpayers and the citizens accused.
- The Collin County Veterans Court is not similar to other counties because they do not dismiss the DWI convictions for veterans who complete their program, for instance. This defeats the objective of the program to help place the veteran in a position in which they won’t be limited in employment due to a conviction, despite having their substance abuse issues resolved.
- Collin County is unique to other North Texas counties in that the probation department has much greater control in sentencing than the judge in other counties, whereas judges are more likely to control the conditions of probation (for example, reporting versus non reporting). As a result, it is standard practice that the Collin County judges defer to the probation department on the particulars of probation conditions.
When people look for a Top DWI Attorney or Best DWI Attorney, they look for experience, certification, and respect in the legal community. Mimi Coffey is a nationally-renowned trial attorney, board-certified in DWI by the NCDD. She has been practicing for over 24 years and is an author of multiple DWI Defense textbooks. She is also a national and state-wide lecturer on the law.
The Coffey Firm handles a wide variety of cases, including Unlawful Carrying Weapon (UCW), Assault (including family violence), and Possession charges. We can also help you try to seal your record or avoid probation revocation.
Mimi is also listed on several “top criminal lawyer near me” directory listings such as DWI Lawyers for Wise County, DWI Lawyer Tarrant County, DWI attorney Dallas County, DWI attorneys Collin County and DWI attorneys Parker County. Mimi is a caring DWI Lawyer in DFW, She is also involved in the Texas Tech School of Law foundation and enjoys using the skills she has developed to give back to the community.